Functional writing "involves writing that provides specific directions or information related to real world tasks."
Explain in detail a library task/procedure for a library operation manual. The essay should include information about the importance of the task/procedure, special skills or preparation required, the steps or process for completing the task/procedure, tips to increase efficiency and or quality of performing the task/procedure and or troubleshooting guidelines.
Examples of Functional Writing:
Choose one of the following library procedures to explain in detail for your functional essay. Remember, the essays will be used to create a PHS Library manual.
- Phone procedures (answering the phone, transferring calls, taking messages, phone etiquette)
- Weekly Performance Management Report (what it is, how to use it, how to keep record, how the rubric works, etc.)
- Computer Lab (preparing it for use, rules and procedures for using the lab, cleaning up after a class has used it, troubleshooting problems, etc.)
- Color Printer (how to use it to print in black/white and color, printing 2-sided brochures, using the printer to scan photos, troubleshooting, etc.)
- Shelving books (explain how to shelve fiction, non-fiction, story collections, manga and magazines).
- Shelf care (explain how to maintain your shelf space: facing books, dusting, weeding, etc.)
- Customer service (how to help students find books, check out books, return books, etc.)
- English Department (where is it, what is it, how is it organized, etc.)
- Lamination machine procedures
- Ellison Die Cut machine procedures