Argument: Do you believe the new nutrition standards will be effective in the fight against obesity?
Writing Objective: I will write arguments to support claims in an analysis of a substantive text using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence by a close reading of the article "Unhappy Meals" and writing an essay arguing for or against the article's claims.
Today's Assignment: Use the "Building an Argument" graphic organizer to record your claim, evidence, reasons, counter arguments and weaknesses in counterarguments. When you have finished, you may begin your essay.
- Must be typed in a classic 12 pt. font (Times New Roman, Arial, Century).
- Double spaced, 1" margin all around.
- At the top left of the page please put your name, date, the name of this class (Library Information Science) and the title: Argumentative Essay 1.
- Introduction and conclusion, both stating the claim or position you are taking.
- The body of the essay should include your reasons and evidence, and at least one counter argument.
- Please use the following argument template in your essay: "In the article, he says that __________. I tend to agree/disagree because __________. (This will fulfill the requirement for at least one counter argument.)
- A minimum of 3 well-written paragraphs (Introduction, body, conclusion).